Hi! I’m Tara and I blog over at Dashing in Pearls! Sweet Sarah asked me to talked to y’all for a minute about my first half marathon experience and I was so excited when she did!
I completed my first half marathon about a month ago in Dallas. I have never considered myself a runner but always wanted
to be so when a friend suggested I train and run the Big D Half with her last December I jumped at the chance! I started with the Couch to 5k Program to get started and once I got to 3 miles started a different training program. About a month before my half I was diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis which seriously
impacted my training but I was still able to complete it! You can read more about my race recap here
Here are my top 10 tips for newbie runners!
10. Give yourself a few weeks leeway to train in case of injury. I didn’t and it ended up biting me in the butt.
9. If you are just starting out, I recommend focusing on distance and not time. Let your body build up the miles first then focus on time once you’re more comfortable with the miles.
8. Find a friend to train with either all the time or for a long run once a week. It definitely makes the miles go faster.
7. Feed your body right! This means carbs and protein. I ate a burrito and huge ice cream the afternoon before my race because I didn’t plan right.
5. If you suffer with shin splints, look in to getting a pair of compression sleeves. I used the brand CEP during my half and felt great.
4. Strength train. You’ll be stronger all over plus it helps break up the monotony of just running.
3. Know ahead of time that it. will. hurt.
2. Get everything together the night before. This means everything from clothes to breakfast to making sure you know how to get to your destination.
1. ENJOY IT! Seriously. Enjoy all of the amazing things your body is doing and what an accomplishment it is!
Feel free to email me at dashinginpearls [at] gmail [dot] com if you have any questions! I’m not an expert by any means but will always do my best to find an answer that I don’t know!
Thanks, Tara! Please make sure to check out Dashing in Pearls because Tara is totally awesome and in the middle of a really interesting 30 day blogging challenge. I know you’ll love her blog as much as I do!
Also, yet another reminder to enter my giveaway HERE. Only a few more days!