Pounds Gained: I gained 1 pound this week, which brings my total pregnancy weight gain to 6. That’s an acceptable weight gain if I wasn’t already overweight. I’m struggling with how to feel full and eat healthy food when my taste buds are warped and everyone is leaving cookies around.
Inches Gained (Waist): I have gained 7.5 inches total, 2.5 in the last week. I guess she’s growing?
Nonsensical item baby is supposedly the size of: a banana, a cantaloupe, and a carrot. Two of these three seem awfully familiar.
Pregnancy Symptoms I’m supposed to expect according to TheBump.com:
- Some heartburn and/or indigestion. Avoid spicy and greasy foods and other triggers.–I miss not getting heartburn from random stuff. Also, pregnancy was the first time in years that I haven’t struggled with IBS/IBD, so I was enjoying eating Mexican and other foreign foods without being sick. Now they all make my throat burn
- Braxton Hicks contractions. Your uterus might occasionally feel tight as it practices for labor.–Umm, no. This freaks me out. How will I know if I’m having this? I still think kicks feel like muscles spasms.
- Leaky boobs. Your milk ducts will be fully developed by the end of this trimester.–Only a little bit of clear stuff.
- Dry, itchy skin, from all that stretching over your growing bump.–Yeah, my legs are actually where I keep trying to scratch off all of the skin. My belly is really not that itchy, but good lord do my legs itch.
- Stretch marks. You skin gets pulled thinner as baby grows. Don’t worry, they should fade significantly after birth.–Confession time: I already had a lot of stretch marks. I gained about 40 pounds in a 1-2 month span in college due to Prozac, so I got wicked stretch marks from that. They had faded as I lost weight, but they are definitely getting red again. I feel totally the opposite of sexy without clothes on.
Body image in pregnancy is still a tricky thing. I love my bump, but I just feel like it’s floppy fat at the bottom (which it kind of is). I get that this a totally shallow and inappropriate feeling and I feel like a jerk for even admitting it, but it’s true. Anyways, I just keep telling myself that I’ll be so huge in another 10 weeks or so that I will miss this stage a little. And my coworker told me I looked “babylicious” on Monday, which totally made my day. I think I’m just a little sad that I’ll never be one of those girls with the cute basketball, but that’s ok, because I still get my baby in the end and that’s really what matters.
It doesn’t help that I’ve been physically incapable of getting full for the last few days. I am so hungry all the time. I’m hoping that having next week to work from home will give me a chance to make some healthier meals (and bank some in the freezer) with higher fiber content to make me feel fuller. Any advice?
In other news, I was told to eat something sugary if I wanted to feel the baby move. That just makes me need to pee a lot (I think it makes her aim for my bladder). Interestingly, she kicks like crazy when I get really hungry, which is apparently really unusual This makes me want to hold off on eating so I can feel her for a little longer, but apparently that’s not good for her. Anyways, sometimes her kicking can really freak me out if I wasn’t expecting it. And the other day I was laying on one side and she kicked me so hard and unexpectedly that I almost flopped over. It was probably funny for everyone but me. I felt like I was about to reenact the scene from Alien.
My lab had our holiday party last week and I was given a baby book by my secret Santa (who was not very secret). The person who gave it to me moved back to his home country yesterday, so it really means a lot to have this gift from him. My husband also got a gift for the baby as a Christmas present from the paralegals where he works. And yes, I cried.
Those of you who follow me on Twitter may have picked up on the constant crying. I cannot explain it, but I sob all the time. “Do You Hear What I Hear” made me lose it on the highway one morning. You already heard the angry gay sobbing story. And today I cried because my sister told me she bought me a Christmas present for the baby. When I’m not crying, I’m excessively angry. Amy commented that her husband saw me on the highway the other day and I had to hope it wasn’t while I was flipping someone off. Because I do that a lot these days. Ooops.
We decided to start the kid’s ornament collection this year. I’m going to order an ornament from Etsy (don’t judge me, I will cut you), but we can’t decide on the wording. Husband wants “Baby’s -1st Christmas” and I was thinking about agreeing to that with the due date below, but does anyone have any more clever ideas? And yes, the ultrasound picture will be one of our actual baby, the ornament is custom.
I’ve completely lost my mind, haven’t I? I blame the unseasonably warm weather, it must have given me a weird tropical crazy disease. Anyone else possessed by the it’s 57 degrees in December fever?